The Holy Trinity Church Pilgrimage Ministry presents its 2023 Centennial Pilgrimage:
"Monasteries and More!"
Mount Athos and Thessaloniki
A Unique Pilgrimage of Spiritual Renewal
and Adventure for Couples
April 17-24, 2023
Immerse yourself in a week of faith, prayer and history!
RESERVE NOW: SPACE IS LIMITED!
- Deposit due February 15, 2023
- Full payment due March 15, 2023
2023 Pilgrimage Overview
The ancient monasteries of Mount Athos are a spiritual center of the Orthodox world…but they are for men only. So how can women experience those blessings, too? And how can couples enjoy a spiritual journey of a lifetime and be blessed by both time apart and time together? Read on!
This pilgrimage will start with couples touring Thessaloniki, then an overnight stay at Ouranoupolis, the gateway to the Holy Mountain. The next morning the men will board the ferry for a three-night trip to the monasteries of Mount Athos, while the women will take a morning guided boat cruise along the Athos coast to see these historic centers of spiritual life in person from the water. The women will then return to Thessaloniki for a three-night stay at the Nativity of the Theotokos Monastery in Panorama to experience the life of Athos at an amazing women’s monastery, with day trips to explore the area.
After their separate monastery stays, the couples will converge again for a two-night stay at the Makedonia Palace Hotel on the Thessaloniki waterfront. Highlights for the last two days include a pilgrimage to the tomb of Saint Paisios and time to explore the Museum of Byzantine Culture. St. George Liturgy and dinners in Thessaloniki complete the adventure!
2023 Pilgrimage Details
- Host: This trip is an offering of the Pilgrimage Ministry of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Pittsburgh, PA. The guides for the pilgrimage will be Father and Presvytera Becky John Touloumes. Professional tour arrangements are being handled by Cloud Tours.
- Requirements: Because of strict, traditional practices and physical requirements of travel on Mount Athos, all male participants must be Orthodox Christian adult males (18 or over) with proof of baptism and the ability to walk for extended periods on rough-terrain paths. All female participants must be able to walk for extended periods and be able to attend early morning services and the late night vigil.
- Trip Size: Due to capacity limitations on Mount Athos for men and at the Nativity of the Theotokos Monastery for women, this trip is strictly limited to 8 (eight) couples. Also, this is designed to be a spiritual renewal pilgrimage for couples. Single reservations are not available.
- Price: $3,600 per person, double-occupancy. (Final price subject to change based on airfare at time of final booking.)
- Included: Trip price includes: round-trip airfare from Pittsburgh; all first-class hotel accommodations with breakfasts; accommodations and meals on Mount Athos (men) and at Panorama (women); all private bus/van transfers in Thessaloniki; ferry to Mt. Athos; private sight-seeing tour of Thessaloniki; 1 dinner in Ouranoupolis and 2 dinners in Thessaloniki; gratuities for drivers and guides; taxes and transfers. Not included: Personal expenses, meals gratuities, travel protection insurance, covid testing or related expenses.
- Deposit: $500 per person non-refundable deposit required by February 15, 2023 to reserve a spot. Reservations will be received on a first-come, first-served basis. Once eight couples’ reservations are received, a waiting list will be established in the event of cancellations. See the reservation form for details on deposits and payments.
- Full Payment: Balance of payment is due on March 15, 2023.
The informational flyer for this trip, including the tentative itinerary, can be downloaded here: pdf 2023 Centennial Pilgrimage - Mount Athos and Thessaloniki (3.36 MB)